General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Health and Human Services

Internship Opportunities

Intership Opportunities

El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency is pleased to partner with local colleges and universities to provide hands-on learning for students. Please note that all internships are UNPAID. The following student internships are available with the department. Availability may vary throughout the year.

If interested, please call the contact number listed for more information.

For information about Volunteer Opportunities click here.


​Animal Services Program

The Animal Services Program provides animal sheltering and care. Interns provide enrichment to shelter animals, enforcement of animal laws and rabies control, adoptions, fostering of animals needing special care, and serving the public in our front offices. There are two locations where interns can offer their support: the Western Slope Animal Shelter in Diamond Springs and the East Slope Animal Shelter in South Lake Tahoe. The commitment of time will vary depending upon the intern position. Interns can be immersed in different aspects of the animal services operation to include: riding along with Officers and learning animal law; assisting in shelter operations to include animal identification, animal handling, livestock care and socialization; radio dispatch, data entry and proper adoption counseling; aiding volunteers with meet and greets; and quarantine and bite reporting.

  • Animal Control Officer
  • Animal Care Attendant
  • Dispatcher/Administrative Assistant Volunteer
  • Assistant Rabies Prevention Assistant

Call for more information. Contact: Western Slope (530) 621-7650 ; South Lake Tahoe (530) 573-7940.

​Child Protective Services

Court Ordered Supervised Visitation Program - Thousands of children are in California's foster care systems. These children require temporary, out-of-home care due to parental neglect, abuse or exploitation. Some children stay in foster care for weeks, some for years. Children are of all ages with various needs. Foster parents give a supportive and stable environment for children who cannot live with their birth parents until family problems are resolved. In most cases, the foster parents work with Social Services staff to reunite the child with his/her birth family. During this period, interns are utilized to assist with supervised visits between the child and his/her birth parent(s). Interns must:
  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Commit to 2-3 hours per week
  • Have a valid driver’s license
  • Successfully pass Live Scan background check
  • Have a cell phone
  • Participate in training prior to and during their assigned visitations period
Call for more information. Contact (530) 642-4801

Income Support/Employment Services - South Lake Tahoe

Employment Services helps individuals in El Dorado County with their job search needs. We have computers, help with job searches and can fax for resume/job applications. We have printers available with resume quality paper and have an updated job board. We have phones to use for employer contact and weekly job search related workshops. In addition, we have help for mature job seekers and information on disability and applying for CA and NV unemployment. We are open to the public from 10am to 4pm and are located at 3368 Lake Tahoe Blvd, South Lake Tahoe.

We are interested in interns for the position of Receptionist. Duties would include: answering the phone, clear phone messages, log people into the C-IV computer system, assist people in registering in CalJOBS, assist people with internet applications/resumes/cover letters, faxing, printing, assist people with general questions, and assist with applying for CA and NV unemployment.

For more information please call (530) 573-4330.

Behavioral Health Services

Community Mental Health Outpatient Clinics for adults are located in Diamond Springs and South Lake Tahoe. We provide case management, psychiatric services, wellness and recovery groups, individual therapy, crisis services, and forensic services to support the mental health of the people we serve. Practicum students are provided with a variety of clinical opportunities in a recovery-based atmosphere.

Practicum students who are interested in unpaid internships should complete and request and submit a volunteer application at Volunteer Application. Direct questions to a Practicum Coordinator at 530-573-7970. Candidates will be interviewed and must be able to pass a background check.

Note that internships are limited based on availability and contractual status with the school. Thank you for your interest.

​Office of the Public Guardian

The Public Guardian’s office provides services that are defined and directed by the W & I Code and Probate Division of the Superior Court. The Public Guardian acts as the legally appointed guardian or conservator for persons found by the Superior Court to be unable to properly care for their personal or financial matters or resist undue influence or fraud. Such persons usually suffer from serious mental illness or are older adults with age related infirmities which render them vulnerable to exploitation or abuse.

Other Services
The Public Guardian provides Representative Payee Services for persons identified by Social Security Administration as needing assistance with their finances. In addition, the Public Guardian provides information to family members, medical professionals, care providers or other members of the community in identifying resources.

Interns would have a variety of opportunities to work closely with clients to provide case management services, bill paying, and referrals to local services when appropriate. For more information please call (530) 642-4800 and ask for Public Guardian.

​Senior Services

The Area on Aging provides a multitude of senior programs for residents 60 years and older. The purpose of these programs is to provide a vital link in maintaining the health of older persons by preventing premature institutionalization and improving overall quality of life. Programs offered include: Information and Assistance, Senior Health Education Program, Senior Nutrition Program, Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, Senior Activities, and Family Caregiver Support Program.

For internship opportunities call for more information. Contact: (530) 621-6161

​Social Services Clerical Unit

The Clerical Unit in the Social Services Division of the El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency provides support to the Eligibility Workers who determine if clients are eligible to Medi-Cal, CalFresh, and CalWORKS. Interns would be used to support clerical staff with their daily work. Interns are needed in the Placerville office to assist with:

  • Processing incoming and outgoing mail
  • Assisting and directing the clients that come into our office
  • Assisting and directing callers to appropriate departments throughout the Agency
  • Scanning client documents into our computer system
  • Basic clerical support functions.

Call for more information. Contact (530) 642-7300

Substance Use Disorder Services

The Substance Use Disorder Services (SUDS) Program provides evidence-based services with the goal of leading efforts in our community to prevent and reduce the impact of Substance Use Disorders (SUD). We develop, administer and implement prevention, treatment and recovery programs in El Dorado County. Interns can assist with the provision of our programs to gain experience in the SUD field and obtain hours toward certification as a SUD counselor. Interns must:

  • Be at least 21 years of age
  • Commit to a minimum of 8 hours per week
  • Be enrolled in a related educational program
  • Successfully pass Live Scan background check
  • All non-licensed or non-certified individuals providing counseling services in a substance use disorder program must be registered to obtain certification as an alcohol and other drug counselor by one of the DHCS approved certifying organizations (Health and Safety Code, Section 11833(b)(1)).

For more information contact: 530-621-6146