Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Sign In
General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Hazardous Materials

Image of HHW Collection EventHousehold Hazardous Waste Collection Events

HHW Hotline (530) 295-4100

El Dorado County, Environmental Management conducts Household Hazardous Waste Collection for County residents.  Events are held every 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. weather permitting. Click here to schedule a waste drop off appointment.

The Following Items Are Accepted

  • Paint: latex, water- and oil-based paints;
  • Used motor oil, gasoline, antifreeze, brake fluid and other motor vehicle liquids;
  • Solvents and paint removers;
  • Adhesives and sealants;
  • Pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers;
  • Photo processing chemicals;
  • Household cleaners;
  • Pool chemicals;
  • Aerosol cans;
  • Home generated sharps (must be in an approved sharps container);
  • Over the counter pharmaceuticals (no controlled substances are accepted);
  • Universal Waste:
    • Batteries (all types),
    • fluorescent lights (limit 10 per trip)
    • mercury containing devices;
  • Electronic Waste (E-Waste);
  • Most products labeled CAUTION, WARNING, DANGER, or POISON.

There are limits for the amounts of household hazardous waste you can legally transport: 

    • You may transport up to 20 gallons of used oil and latex paint.

    • For all other wastes you may transport up to five gallons or fifty pounds per trip.

    • Remember to place all items in the trunk and away from all passengers. Do not commingle any household hazardous waste products.

    • Wastes should be in the original containers.

The Following Wastes are NOT ACCEPTED:

  • HHW from businesses or non-profit organizations;   
  • radioactive materials;
  • infectious medical wastes;   
  • tires;       
  • explosives;   
  • PCBs;      
  • appliances,   
  • compressed gas cylinders (exception: propane tanks -10 gallons or less are allowed),
  • treated wood waste

If you have any questions feel free to contact El Dorado County Environmental Management at (530) 621-5300.

Image of Recycled oil cans Permanent Household Hazardous Waste Collection Sites