Health and Human Services Agency
Public Health



 The El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency, Public Health Nursing is reminding parents to plan now for the coming school year by ensuring their child is up-to-date on required immunizations. For those families without a health care provider, Public Health is now offering low-cost back-to-school immunizations. Public Health can provide all childhood vaccinations required for school entry, as well as other vaccinations recommended to keep children healthy. 

Parents who wish to have their child vaccinated through a scheduled appointment at Public Health may call the Public Health Clinic at (530) 621-6100 in Placerville or (530) 573-3155 in South Lake Tahoe. Vaccinations are charged at cost for those who have private insurance. Children on Medi-Cal, or who are uninsured, are eligible for Public Health’s low-cost immunization services; a $10 administration fee is charged per shot, though no child will be refused a vaccination due to inability to pay.  

El Dorado County Public Health Nursing is also conducting a series of free, walk-in vaccination clinics for uninsured children or those on Medi-Cal at designated locations in El Dorado County. For dates and locations of the free walk-in vaccination clinics, visit or call the Public Health Clinic. Parents should bring their child’s immunization record.  

Schools and child care facilities must verify each child's immunization record to ensure all required shots are completed before entry to child care, kindergarten and 7th grade. Students must receive all vaccines according to age and grade requirements.  For more information about immunizations required for child care and grades K – 12, please see      

Under California Senate Bill 277, passed last year, personal belief exemptions to immunizations, including religious belief exemptions, are no longer accepted when children enter child care or schools in California. Personal belief exemptions on file for a child already attending child care or school will remain valid until the child reaches the next immunization checkpoint at kindergarten (including transitional kindergarten) or 7th grade. Most families will not be affected by SB 277 because their children have received all required vaccinations. Beginning this school year: 

  • Documentation of required immunizations must be submitted to the school before the student is allowed to attend class. 
  • Parents/guardians of Medically Exempt students must submit a Medical Exemption letter from a licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) and provide documentation of immunizations that have been received.

 For more information about SB 277, please see


# # #