General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Environmental Health

Food Facilities & Food Establishments

 The Environmental Health Division regulates retail food facilities, conducts routine inspections of permitted food facilities, and investigates food facility complaints.  

Retail vs. Wholesale: Definitions & Requirements
Button blue squareHow to Start a Food Business
Button blue square"Do I Need a Health Permit?" - an easy-to-follow flowchart 
Button blue squareWineries
Button blue squareCaterers
Button blue squareBed & Breakfast Establishment Guidelines
Button blue squareFood Facility Annual Permit Application
Button blue squareAlternative Operating Procedures to Use Bare Hand Contact with Ready-to-Eat Food
Button blue squareIf You Sell Raw Oysters: Oyster Regulations
Button blue squareService Animals: What are the Laws?
Button blue squareFood Irradiation 
Button blue squareRestrooms for Customers in Food Establishments 
Button blue squareMenu Labeling for Chain Restaurants
Button blue squareTrans Fat Ban
Button blue squarePlan Check

Button blue squareFood manager certification (a 5-year certification) is needed for at least one person, and Food handler certification (a 3-year certification) is needed for all other employees who handle food. See the section on Food Safety Certification for more information.

Button blue squareGeneral Guidelines for Food Protection & Sanitation Practices