General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Environmental Management

   EMD COVID-19 Operational Information

*Effective Tuesday November 17th @ 12:00 PM*


The Environmental Management Department (EMD) office is open for “in person” business.  We will be offering limited appointment times to those in need of emergency services related to immediate health, life, and safety concerns (i.e., failed septic system).  Contact us to set up an appointment at (530) 621-5300 (Placerville)  or (530) 573-3450 (SLT)

Staff is available by phone and email.  Please refer to the list below for information about the services available, contact information and guidance documents related to COVID-19.

General guidance and information pertaining to COVID-19 can be found on Public Health's COVID-19 webpage.

El Dorado County will be moving into the WIDESPREAD (Purple) tier under the California blueprint for a safer economy.  For complete information on your industry guidance, please visit the State's website:

Below is a summary of what is allowed in this tier:

  • Restaurants can operate outdoors only
  • Bars, breweries and pubs that offer no food service are closed  In order to operate outdoors, a bonafide meal is required and alcohol can only be sold in the same transaction as a complete meal.  Please see the ABC's 5th notice of regulatory relief (item 16) as well as the definition of what is constituted as a meal here
  • Wineries and tasting rooms can now operate outdoors only
  • Movie theaters (indoors) are closed.
  • Personal care services (tattoo parlors) - may operate indoors with modifications.
  • Public Gatherings - All gatherings are prohibited until further notice, except as otherwise specifically permitted in state public health directives (including in applicable industry guidance).  Permits for Temporary Food Facility operations will not be approved/issued until allowed.
  • Schools:  If you are needing a second inspection for USDA funding, please use this  School Cafeteria Self-Inspection Checklist.

A complete list of what services are allowed in each of the tiers can be found here: Dimmer-Framework-September_2020 (2).pdf.

For more information, please visit the State's COVID-19 website.  Additional documents are below.

General information:

Recreational Health 

For any complaints or concerns, please contact us at (530) 621-5300 (Placerville)  or (530) 573-3450 (SLT) or by email

Whitewater Rafting

The State has not published guidelines for this industry, however, the County of El Dorado has developed temporary guidelines which can be found here:

Plan Review/Submittal

The customer service counter for EMD and Building/Planning are closed to the public.  We are still accepting plans electronically and at both office locations, a plan submittal drop box has been installed in the lobby for drop-off.  Staff is continuing to review plans for all wells, septic systems (OWTS) and retail food facilities.  Please contact our offices with any questions.

Hazardous Materials/CUPA/UST
Staff will respond to complaints, hazardous materials and waste spills.  Please see our page for updates on the status of our Household Hazardous Waste Events
Call (530) 621-5300 to file a complaint.

Small Public Drinking Water Systems

Staff will analyze water sample test result data for presence of acute contamination and respond to water infrastructure complaints. Staff will continue to inspect water systems to ensure water quality and safe infrastructure. 
For any complaints or concerns, please contact us at (530) 621-5300 (Placerville)  or (530) 573-3450 (SLT) or by email

Drinking Water Wells
Non-water well related inspections will be not be scheduled during shelter in place order.
Staff will respond to water well complaints, and inspect sanitary seal placement for new wells and destruction of old wells.
For any complaints or concerns, please contact us at (530) 621-5300 (Placerville)  or (530) 573-3450 (SLT) or by email

Septic Systems
Staff will respond to onsite wastewater treatment infrastructure and surfacing sewage complaints, septic system inspections and test trenches.

Wastewater Treatment - Union Mine 
Union Mine treatment plant is open for liquid waste haulers only.   

Solid Waste
For any complaints or concerns, please contact us at (530) 621-5300 (Placerville)  or (530) 573-3450 (SLT) or by email

Garbage Collection
For questions regarding garbage collection and material recovery facility operations, please contact your service provider below. 
El Dorado Disposal (530) 626-4141
South Tahoe Refuse (530) 541-5105

Follow us for updates