General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Hazardous Materials

Commercial Small Quantity Generators

Requirements and Limitations

To qualify for the Commercial Small Quantity Generator or CESQG (Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators) program, you must generate no more than the following amounts per month:

  • 220 pounds (27 gallons) of most hazardous wastes (i.e. paints, solvents, chemicals)
  • 2.2 pounds (1 quart) of acutely hazardous chemicals (i.e. mercury or some laboratory chemicals) or
  • 110 pounds (13 gallons) of perchloroethylene.

As a CESQG you need to register with the El Dorado County Environmental Management CUPA.  CUPA program staff can help you determine if your business may participate in the CESQG program. They can be reached at (530) 621-5300. 

If your business generates more than the amounts listed above, you are considered a Regulated Hazardous Generator. Regulated generators must contract with a licensed hazardous waste hauler to collect the wastes at their facility. Several hazardous waste haulers are listed in the Sacramento Area yellow pages under the heading, “Waste Disposal-Hazardous”.   Like CESQG’s Regulated hazardous waste generators must register with the Environmental Management Department CUPA.

Disposal Information

Businesses that qualify as CESQGs can dispose of their hazardous waste at El Dorado Disposal on the West Slope or at South Lake Tahoe Refuse on the East Slope. 

CESQGs are required to establish an account with El Dorado Disposal and make an appointment to drop off your waste. To obtain an enrollment package contact El Dorado Disposal at (530) 295-3011. 


Safe transport of your CESQG hazardous waste must be done by you personally or your employees in a vehicle owned and operated by you. Waste may only be transported to a properly permitted disposal facility, like those operated by El Dorado Disposal and South Tahoe Refuse. You must also:

  • Do not mix wastes together.
  • Do not transport more than 220 lbs (27 gallons)
  • Use containers that do not exceed 5 gallons or 50 lbs.  If transporting acutely hazardous chemicals or perchloroethylene, the transport limits are the same as the generation limits listed above.
  • Package the waste in a manner that prevents the containers from tipping, spilling or breaking during transport.
  • Use sound, sealed containers.
  • Use original containers properly labeled with contents. If not using original container, cover up the original label and write contents on the container. Do not mix wastes together.
  • Place containers in a cardboard box. Glass containers should be wrapped in cloth or newspaper.
  • Keep waste away from passengers.  Place the cardboard box in the trunk of your car or in the bed of your pickup truck.
  • Provide ventilation by opening a window.
  • Follow directions once you reach the collection site.
  • At the site, staff will unload the waste from your vehicle. You will be asked to stay inside your vehicle.
  • Obtain a disposal receipt documenting the date, type, and quantity of waste dropped off.  Keep the receipt on file for at least three years.

Useful Link

Department of Toxic Substances