General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Hazardous Materials

Hazardous Waste Generator/Tiered Permitting

Hazardous Waste Forms
CalEPA Title 27- (Including:
Business Activities, Hazardous
Materials Inventory, Recycling Materials, Operating Permit App.
Onsite Hazardous Waste Treatment,
Permit By Rule, Conditionally Exempt, etc.)

If you are a hazardous waste generator, it is your responsibility to identify and manage your waste properly. Tiered permitting is a five-level hazardous waste treatment, storage and disposal (TSD) authorization program. The first three tiers are designed to regulate on-site treatment of hazardous waste. On-site treatment under these tiers is limited to relatively small amounts of waste with proven, low risk technologies. The onsite tiered permitting program is presently run by the CUPAs; your local agency can provide information, forms, and assistance. The fourth tier, or "Standardized Permit" is for off-site treatment or storage of wastes that would not require a federal permit, such as waste oil storage or precious metal recovery services. The final tier is that of a full treatment, storage or disposal (TSD).

The above information is from the Department of Toxic Substance Control website. For more general information:
Fact Sheets - Department of Toxic Substances Control

All handlers of hazardous waste, including those who generate, store, transport or dispose of hazardous waste, must have an identification (ID) number. Handlers that generate more than 100 kilograms of RCRA waste or 1 kilogram of acutely hazardous waste per month must have a Federal EPA ID number. Handlers that generate less than those amounts or any amount of non-RCRA hazardous waste must have a California ID number. The ID numbers enable regulators to track the waste from it's origin to final disposal ("cradle to grave"). For more information, please refer to the ID number fact sheet.

To obtain an EPA ID number, please complete and submit the application form to USEPA.

To obtain a California ID number please complete and submit the application to DTSC.

All hazardous waste generators must also complete and submit a hazardous waste contingency plan, pay an annual fee and undergo periodic inspections. The required plan components include the Business Owner/Operator Identification and the Emergency Response Procedures/Training Plan/Chemical Locations Map (in the EDC Business Plan)

Commercial Small Quantity Generators

The permanent facility operated by Waste Management/El Dorado Disposal, will also accept hazardous waste from qualifying small businesses. For a fee and by appointment only small businesses can transport their waste to the Diamond Springs facility for proper disposal. This Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator (CESQG) program can be an inexpensive convenient alternative to contracting with a hazardous waste hauler. To qualify for the CESQG program, you must generate no more than the following amounts per month:

  • 220 pounds (27 gallons) of most hazardous wastes (i.e. paints, solvents, chemicals)
  • 2.2 pounds (1 quart) of acutely hazardous chemicals (i.e. mercury or some laboratory chemicals)
  • 110 pounds (13 gallons) of perchloroethylene.

You will be required to establish an account with El Dorado Disposal, complete and submit a waste profile description form and make an appointment to drop off your waste. To obtain an enrollment package contact El Dorado Disposal at (530) 642- 0731. Once your account has been established you may set up an appointment for delivery by calling the collection facility at (530) 642-9236. For a list of the fees by waste type, please click here.

If your business generates more than the amounts listed above, you are considered a regulated generator. Regulated generators must contract with a licensed hazardous waste hauler to collect the wastes at their facility. Several hazardous waste haulers are listed in the Sacramento Area yellow pages under the heading, “Waste Disposal-Hazardous”.

Locations may be closed due to inclement weather or a fire emergency. If you have any questions feel free to call El Dorado County Environmental Management at (530) 621-5300.

Hazardous Waste Management Plan

Tanner Legislation (AB 2948) authorizes California counties to prepare hazardous waste management plans and to identify potential areas for the siting of needed future hazardous waste facilities. The California Department of Health Services (DHS) administers the local hazardous waste planning process. The El Dorado County Hazardous Waste Management Plan has been prepared in accordance with the DHS guidelines.

Hazardous Waste Management Plan (HWMP) - 11/05/1990 

Button blue squareConditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generators Disposal Fees

Button blue squareHazardous Waste Inspection Tips

Button blue squareList of Non-Exclusive Hazardous Waste Transporters