General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Building Services

Agricultural Barns
How to Obtain a Building Permit

It is a policy of the county to conserve and protect agricultural land and to encourage agricultural operations within the county. Certain zoning within the county makes provisions for the purpose of agricultural uses that include the construction of accessory structures such as barns.

Please check with  Planning Services for any specific zone requirements.

Obtaining a Building Permit

  1. Building Services permit application requires the following:

    • Complete the three part application and sign where applicable (signature must be verified by office personnel). If you are applying as owner-builder, you must be the owner of record and complete part four of the multi part application. If property ownership was recently changed a copy of the grant deed may be required at time of application.
    • When other than the owner or licensed contractor is applying for the permit, the second half of part four of the form must be completed, giving authority to sign as the owner's agent.
    • An owner or their agent must sign a Deed Restriction Certificate declaring conformance with any applicable deed restrictions and/or CC&R's for subject property.
    • If the property is within the architecturally controlled area of El Dorado Hills Community Services District or Cameron Park Community Services District, architectural approval of the plans from the district prior to permit issuance is a requirement. Failure to obtain approval may delay issuance of your permit. Check with your individual association for any restrictions that may affect your construction.
    • Contractors acting as agent for the owner must have a current active California state contractors license, worker's compensation coverage, and a current El Dorado County Business License.
    • Submit plans as outlined in Agricultural Barn Plan Requirements and Guidelines.
  2. When not served by public water/sewer, you must submit the perc test, septic design and well production report to the Environmental Management Department. This may only be submitted with or after building permit application.

  3. An Encroachment permit is needed if you are connecting your new driveway to a County-maintained road. See the county Fire Safe Regulations for driveway information.

Click to return to top of page  

Plan Requirements and Guidelines

Building Services will not accept an Application for a Residential Building Permit unless the Minimum Criteria listed below are met. Use the following as a guideline for your submittal.  

Submit two complete sets of plans that include the following, PLUS one additional floor plan:

  1. PLOT PLAN (minimum scale I "=20')
    • This plan must show the entire parcel and indicate and identify actual distances from all property lines and/or easements to structures, existing and proposed. Indicate all easements on the plan
    • The plot plan shall also indicate distances between structures.
    • Locate septic system(s), propane tank(s) and any other buildings.
    • Indicate slope of lot.
    • Contour lines (@ 1 ',2' or 5' vertical increments) must be shown for the building site and/or disturbed area and extend 20 feet beyond or to the property line, whichever is less.
    • Similar contour lines must also be shown for the full length of a new driveway, if applicable.
    • A profile for any new driveway on site. Also, public road to driveway improvements shown and dimensioned. Indicate the finished floor elevations for garage floor and first floor .
    • The proposed method of compliance with  State Fire Safe regulations regarding driveway slope, width, surface, turnouts and fuel modification shall be shown on these plans.
    • Site Design Measures for Post Construction Storm Water Requirements.
    • Any proposed grading is to be delineated in conformance with the County Design and Improvement Standards Manual.
    • If the plot plan, drawn as required above, is too large to fit on a 24" x 36" sheet of paper, a SITE PLAN, drawn to a small scale, shall be provided which locates the area covered by the PLOT PLAN on the parcel.
  2. TITLE BLOCK giving: owner's name and mailing address, job site address, and assessor's parcel number. Include a summary of square footage identifying each proposed occupancy.
  3. FOUNDATION PLAN with details.
  4. FLOOR PLAN (fully dimensioned) illustrating proposed sizes and uses of rooms. Show braced wall panel locations or engineered shear walls (if applicable).
  5. FULLY-DIMENSIONED FLOOR PLAN(S) illustrating proposed sizes and uses of rooms, exits and fire separations.
    • Show windows and doors. Identify proposed use of any rooms included in barn. (Example: shop, bathroom, storage, etc.)
    • Show braced wall panel locations or engineered shear walls (if applicable). If a second story is included as a barn floor it must be designed for a 120# floor load.).  
  6. FRAMING PLAN with details (include deck framing if applicable).
  7. ROOF FRAMING PLAN. If trusses are to be used, supply two wet-signed copies of engineered design along with structural plan set submittal.
    • Trusses must be keyed to Roof Framing Plan.
    • The building design professional (project engineer) to review and initial truss specs as being compatible with building design. 
  8. ELEVATIONS including front, rear, and both sides.
  9. ELECTRICAL/MECHANICAL PLAN identifying all outlets, switches, lights, smoke detectors and main panel ampacity and location. This may be illustrated on the Floor Pl an.
  10. Name and wet-signature (original) of the person responsible for preparing plans. (Plans requiring design by a California-Registered Architect or Engineer must have seal and signature and the license number with current expiration date.)   

CHECK OUR PLAN REVIEW GUIDELINES FOR MORE DETAILS ON THE PLAN CHECK PROCESS. The guideline, while not all-inclusive, is intended to help you prepare residential plans that are essentially "complete".

Click to return to top of page