General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Veteran Services

How Do I File a Disability Claim With the VA?

Who Is Eligible?
You may be eligible for disability compensation if you have a service-related disability and you were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions.

If you currently have a chronic medical condition that you feel was caused or made worse because of your service, you may be eligible for compensation.

Where Do I Start?
The DD-214-----The DD-214 is required in order to file a disability claim (Record of Discharge or Release from Active Duty) from the Military. If you do not have this document, our office can obtain one for you.

The Service Treatment / Medical Records-----The Service Treatment Records are a chronological record of your medical treatment while serving in the military.  If the medical conditions have persisted after separation or discharge, and you went to a civilian or VA doctor for follow on care, a copy of these records will be required as well. These documents will show the VA that continuity of the medical condition(s) has continued after military service and are current. All medical records of treatment after military service should be included in the initial disability claim; our office can assist you to obtain these records.

The Dependents Supporting Documentation-----Supporting documentation for dependents consists of marriage certificate, divorce decree(s), all of children’s birth certificates, death certificate. Every document is necessary to ensure that you receive the maximum amount of benefits from the Veterans Administration that you may be entitled to.

Now That I have my need documents what do I do? -----The El Dorado County Department of Veteran Affairs Office has Veterans Service Representatives fully accredited with the US Department of Veteran Affairs, ready to assist you throughout the claim process. We will complete all the necessary forms and file all appropriate documentation required to file your claim for disability compensation with the Veteran Administration.