General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Employment Services

General Assistance

The County General Assistance program is a repayable program to assist indigent persons meet their basic needs. Vouchers may be available for housing, utilities, personal needs and transportation. The program includes four components: (1) non-residents needing transportation to return to their place of residence; (2) individuals who are disabled and need support until their disability benefits are awarded; (3) people who are indigent unemployed; and (4) burials for the indigent; and (4) burials for the indigent.

How Do I Apply for General Assistance?

  • By phone - Call the El Dorado County Health and Human Services Agency office at (530) 642-7300 in Placerville or (530) 573-3200 in South Lake Tahoe. 
  • In person or by U.S. mail – Applications may be submitted in person, by U.S. mail or call the nearest Health and Human Services Agency office to have an application mailed to you. 
  • Completed applications and questions can be directed to the Health and Human Services Agency office nearest you: 

Placerville Office
3057 Briw Road
Placerville, CA 95667
(530) 642-7300

South Lake Tahoe Office
3368 Sandy Way
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
(530) 573-3200