General Contact Number: (530) 621-5567

Recorder Clerk

How to Order Copies

image of Stop sign Did you know the guidelines for ordering birth and death records have changed?

 Marriage requests changed January 1, 2010 -  Click here for Forms   


Vital Record Fees (per copy)

  • Birth Certificate $ 28
  • Death Certificate $ 21
  • Public Marriage License $ 15
  • Confidential Marriage License $ 15 - Only parties to the marriage can request a copy without a court order.

Official Record Fees

  • Non-Certified $ 3.00 first page and $ 1.00 each additional page of each document
  • Certified $ 5.00 first page and $ 1.00 each additional page of each document
  • Use of credit card, additional fees apply.  

Over the Counter

Copies of recorded documents or vital records can be purchased at the Recorder's Office from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except for legal holidays. The customer completes a copy request form and gives it to the copy clerk. The copy is made at that time. Payment for an over-the-counter copy can be made by cash,  personal check, money order or credit card.

By Mail

A request for a copy of an official record, other than a Birth or Death Record, can be mailed to the Recorder's Office. All copy requests must have:

  • A daytime phone number in case there is a question or problem
  • An address to mail the copy to
  • A check or money order to cover the fee for the requested copies
  • An enclosed, self-addressed stamped legal size envelope will help speed delivery

A request for a vital record, birth or death or marriage certificate, requires completion of special forms when ordering by mail.  Click here for more information.

A request for a copy of a recorded document must include the type of document, the parties involved and a recording reference if possible or a date of recording. A search of our on-line index would enable you to provide either a document number or a book and page number.

Copy requests should be mailed to:

El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk
Attn: Copy Room
360 Fair Lane
Placerville, CA 95667

By Telephone

Many vital or official records can be ordered over the telephone with a credit card.  For further information, call (530) 621-5490. 

Payment Types

  1. Checks - The Recorder's Office does not accept out of state personal checks. All checks must have the account holder's name, address, phone number, account number and check number pre-printed on them. Checks should be made payable to El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk.  There could be a delay of 20 working days for checks. 
  2. Money Orders - Money orders should be made payable to El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk.
  3. Credit Cards - Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express are accepted. All credit card orders are assessed an additional $7.00 fee. This fee is charged by VitalChek, the company that processes the credit card information for El Dorado County Recorder-Clerk. click here to go to the Vital Check website

El Dorado County does not accept credit cards or online orders; however, for your convenience, you can process online requests through an independent company that we have partnered with to provide you this service; VitalChek Network, Inc.  An additional fee is charged by VitalChek for using this service, and all major credit cards are accepted, including American Express®, Discover®, MasterCard® or Visa®. The VitalChek convenience fee of $7.00 is non-refundable.