Public Announcements:

**El Dorado County Executed Electric Vehicle (EV) Charging Stations** NEW

Plug-in Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Readiness (
Frequently Asked Questions | California Governor's Office of Business and Economic Development

Urgency Ordinance 5163, Chapter 130.69 of the El Dorado County Code, was executed by the Board of Supervisors on August 23, 2022, amending the fee waiver eligibility criteria for permit fees charged by both the Planning and Building Department and Environmental Management Department. 

Executed Ordinance 5163, Chapter 130.69

Our annual building valuations have been updated effective October 1, 2022.  
  • Urgency Ordinance 5150, Chapter 130.69 of the El Dorado County Code, was executed by the El Dorado Supervisors on September 10, 2021, addressing temporary emergency housing, resiliency, and rebuilding after the 2021 Caldor Fire.
    Executed Ordinance 5150, Chapter 130.69

  • A proposed resolution updating the fee schedule for the Building Department will be going before the El Dorado County Board of Supervisors on July 27, 2021.
    Proposed Resolution, Legistar 21-0872

New MOU's Defining Fire Protection District Responsibilities (Effective July 1, 2021)

Attention Commercial Grading Permit Applicants

Effective July 1, 2021, New Procedures

Obtain permit application number from Building Department for commercial grading over 1500 cubic yards

Submit one copy of grading plans directly to Resource Conservation District  (RCD) and pay their fee

RCD is located at 100 Forni Rd, Placerville, CA 95667

(530) 303-5329,

We're all in it together during this uncertain time!

The Planning and Building Department is committed to providing you with the best customer service.  Our lobby is currently open to the public. We're experiencing a substantial increase in permit applications, and as a result, the turnaround times for plan checks and permit reviews are taking longer than usual. Please know we are diligently working to get your plan check and/or permit review completed as quickly as possible so your permit can be issued. You can check on the status of your permit through our online Permit Status link on the Building and Planning Services web pages. If you have any questions on the permit process or your building permit, please call us at    (530) 621-5315. For other questions please reach out to our Ombudsman, Katie Rider, at 530-621-5352.  We apologize in advance for any delay you may encounter.

Temporary Recreational Vehicle Ordinance Code 5136

The Temporary Recreational Vehicle Ordinance allows for the limited use of a recreational vehicle as temporary housing for hardship purposes.  Click here for more information.

Tahoe Regional Planning Agency (TRPA)

Permit Processing

Trade Permits by Licensed Contractors are being accepted via email with payment via E-TRAKiT.  All other applications and submittals are being processed in the Building Department office during our regular business hours.  For permitting questions within the Tahoe Basin please call 530/621-5315.

Contractors, please click on the icon below for further instruction on email permits.


Please call 530/621-5377 to schedule an inspection.

**Has your business been impacted by the COVID-19 virus?**

Click here for more information on helpful business resources

**If the system will not allow you to get in line, it's because customer capacity and wait time has exceeded our hours of operation**

What Are Mitigation Fees?  

Free of Penalty Fees!

Did you know your Board of Supervisors has an established amnesty program for structures built without a required permit?  In the interest of public safety, an owner will not be penalized when they voluntarily reveal work done without a permit and secure a permit for that work.  All usual fees will still be required, however, no penalty fees will be due.   Fee Resolution 079-2016. To review the county policy on how to obtain a permit on a non-permitted structure, please use this link:   Residential Structures Built Without a Permit 

image of TRPA logoAdditional information about building and land use in the Tahoe Basin can be found
 at TRPA Tahoe Regional Planning Agency        

Survey. How are we doing? Send an easy to use Customer Satisfaction Questionnaire directly to the Ombudsman.

The mission of the Development Services Department is to: Guide land use and development consistent with the General Plan, Building Codes & related regulations, by providing accurate, timely and courteous professional and technical services to our customers, to maintain the County's unique quality of life, protect public safety and the environment & promote economic vitality for current and future generations.